Wednesday, January 10, 2007

2006: Books in Review

These are the best books I read last year, in no particular order. As many of you know, I don't remember many details about the books I read, but I'll try to give a brief description of the book and why I liked it.
  • Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein - Set in Afghanistan after Taliban rule, this book tells the story of the friendship between two boys. Simple description that doesn't do the book justice. I hear it's being made into a movie directed by Marc Forster (Finding Neverland, Stranger than Fiction). This was the first book I read in 2006, and though I don't remember much about it, I really liked it.

  • Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner - I kept hearing all these references to Lauren Winner in Christian circles, so when I traveled to Denver for work via car, I took this book along. It's a memoir about the spiritual journey of a girl that became an Orthodox Jew, but was drawn to Christianity and eventually converted. I remember reading this book and thinking how nice it was to read something by someone who talks like me or whose language I can relate to.

  • The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - This is a story about Dracula that weaves together three different story lines. It was suspenseful and interesting and built up to the discovery of Dracula, which was kind of anti climatic. I still loved the book.

  • Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller - I can't believe I'd never read this book. Another spiritual journey story. I remember talking to a student from Tech that was a Leadership Camps counselor about her experience as a Christian on a state campus. Her experiences were completely different than mine, where faith and spirituality were all around. Miller's college experience was similar to hers, but more extreme.

  • Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosse - I wrote a whole post about this book, so I won't say much else. But any book that makes you want to change your behavior, even if it doesn't happen easily, is a good book.
Sorry if these best-of lists are boring for you. I've been reading so many of them lately, it's like I think in lists. I'll make a movie best-of list later.

No comments: