- So last Thursday I went with some friends to see Idina Menzel at the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. That woman knows how to command a stage. She sang "Poker Face" from GLEE, which is not a song you would ever associate with the symphony. She closed with "Defying Gravity" of course. But my favorite song was an a cappella version of "For Good," also from WICKED. She even dropped her mic, so it was just her natural voice filling the Meyerson. I almost cried. And just thinking about it gives me chills. We bought the cheap seats behind the orchestra, but it was worth it, even though Idina's back was to us most of the time. So that is what I was doing last Thursday night instead of blogging. I think you can forgive me. And this Thursday I was working and didn't get home until almost 10 p.m.
- By the way, loved doing something social on a Thursday instead of working. I did give up my WICKED ticket last night because of a work conflict, but I have already seen the show. And I've heard this touring cast underwhelms.
- I just finished reading the book "Devil in the White City" about the Chicago World's Fair and a charming local serial killer . What I learned: the Ferris Wheel is so named after the engineer who designed it for the World's Fair; Shredded Wheat cereal made it's debut at the Fair; the Pledge of Allegiance originated because one man thought it would be a good idea if all the school children recited something in unison to observe Columbus Day and acknowledge Dedication Day of the Fair.
- Loving me some "30 for 30" documentaries on ESPN. I've only seen three, but they've all been excellent.
- I finally bought a bookcase for my living room. The absence of boxes make the place feel more like home.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
I keep forgetting to blog!
Friday, June 04, 2010
- I grew accustomed to not blogging over the last two months, and I forgot to blog last week. Oops. I don't have much life news to share.
- Our office was closed Friday and Monday for Memorial Day weekend. Awesome. I didn't have many plans, and that is how I wanted it. After eight straight working weekends and three Relay weekends in a row, it was great to do nothing. The weekend also announced that summer is officially here. Janie and I played tennis and barely lasted 30 minutes. Too hot. So we've moved our weekly game from Sunday afternoon to Friday evening.
- Love this photo! Love that the Maldives government held an underwater cabinet meeting to draw attention to the dangers of global warming. Talk about creativity.
- The French Open started two weeks ago, and my fave player - Rafael Nadal - is expected to advance to the final and win his fifth Roland Garros title. Yay! Catch some tennis this weekend on NBC. Neither female finalist has ever played in a Grand Slam final, so expect some shaky, nervous tennis.
- I need some reading suggestions. If you've read a good book lately, put it in the comments. I devoured the final Lisbeth Salander (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) book over the weekend. Ready for something new.