- Saturday is Passport Day! I have a firm belief that everyone should possess a valid passport. You never know when the opportunity to travel will present itself, and you always want to be able to GO! On Saturday, passport agencieswill be open from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., no appointment necessary. (Not all agencies are open on Saturday and usually require appointments.) Take advantage of this opportunity! If not for the opportunity to travel, then for the cost. The State Department has proposed new passport fees, and if they go into effect, new passports will cost $135 (instead of $100) and renewals will cost $110 (instead of $75.)
- I had a birthday dinner with my family last Saturday. Because I was skiing on my actual birthday, I thought I had missed out on my annual cookie cake. I may be 31 years old, but I still require a cookie cake for my birthday. For my 30th, I had two! Thanks to my Mom for remembering.
- I encourage you all the buy the new She & Him album, Volume Two. In full disclosure, I
have not listened to it yet. (I thought I downloaded it twice, but iTunes had a glitch. Imagine my disappointment two mornings in a row when I planned on listening to the new album on the way to work.) But I love, love, love Volume One. Listening to their music is like being transported to Paris in springtime. Who doesn't want that? The She of She & Him is actress Zooey Deschanel. One more reason to love her. Just go ahead and buy both albums. You won't regret it.
- In just over a week, Lent will be over and so will my fast of caffeine and carbonated drinks. Last week I was bored of drinking water. This week I'm used to it. But I am looking forward to having my first Diet Dr. Pepper from Sonic after 40+ days.
- I don't know if I have mentioned on this blog how much I love the Vulture blog from New York Magazine. For all you LOST watchers, they have an episode recap AND compile a list of their favorite LOST theories. Check it out. WARNING: They did not like this week's episode.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Friday, March 19, 2010
- College Humor does a nice job making fun of several of the Oscar-nominated movies in this collection of posters. Check it out.
Honest Movie Titles: Oscars 2010 on CollegeHumor
- Had a great time skiing last weekend. Trip was cut short by a winter storm expected to bring 18 inches of snow overnight. We decided to not stick around for that. I love skiing. Want to do more of it.
- Finally, in the eleventh week of 2010, I read my first two weeks of the year. Can't believe it took me so long. One I started the final week of 2009. So I turned that into a streak and made a trip to the library. Here's hoping the reading continues.
- In honor of Kathryn Bigelow's success at the Oscars, I'm watching all her previous films. Through this process I have voluntarily subjected myself to a Keanu Reeves film. I had no idea he starred in a movie with Patrick Swayze. Kathryn creates suspense well and frames scenes well.
- Micheal and Darryl simultaneously saying, "That's what she said" = AWESOME!
Friday, March 12, 2010
- Recently discovered a fun Canadian TV show called "Being Erica." It's about a 30ish woman with career, romantic and family drama. A "therapist" finds her after an accident and helps her take charge of her life my sending her back in time to fix her mistakes. Time travel dramedy. Sounds kind of cheesy, but it's not. Erica - and the actress that plays her - is awesome! She's not perfect, but she's strong and likable. Give it a try on Hulu.
- The Oscars came and wen,t and the Hurt Locker prevailed. I've written about this excellent film before, so now that it's won the Oscar for best picture and director, will you see it? I knew Sandra Bullock was going to win, and even though I don't feel it's deserved, she gave the best acceptance speech I've heard in years. Funny, heartfelt and authentic. Makes the win more bearable. I was 18/24 with my Oscar predictions. Not bad. How about you?
- Going skiing this weekend! Yippee. Just New Mexico this time, so the trip is shorter. Foot still bothering me, but I think it will hold up.
- The second week of the month is my busiest because I work regular hours and also Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights. And this week also included a Wednesday evening meeting. Until Wednesday afternoon, when my Wednesday meeting was canceled. It's amazing how much joy I felt in that cancellation. When I'm in Relay mode, I almost don't think twice about scheduling meetings at night or on the weekends (I have Saturday morning and Friday evening appointments in the next month.) I always look forward to the slow summer. Which is the complete opposite of my job in Lubbock.
- Maybe I'll pick up a book on my ski trip, which I haven't done since the last time i went skiing. In December. Crazy. I know. It's March!
Friday, March 05, 2010
- I finally ran a half marathon! Cowtown 2010. Due to my lack of training, I completed it with a three-minute run/two-minute walk formula, but I still finished! Yippee. I could barely walk later that day, but who cares. Here are a few pictures.Before
- I was going to give up running after the Cowtown, but I loved the experience too much. So I'm giving in and finding a sports medicine doctor to check out my foot. Recommendations anyone?
- The weather has been great the past few days. Bring on the sunshine!
- Ready for the Oscars on Sunday!
- I have writer's block.