Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Five

  1. After traveling three straight weekends, I used last week to be lazy, which is why I didn't blog. I slept in, read books, watched DVDs and relaxed. I'm traveling again this weekend, so it was much-needed.
  2. After reading the biography of the Duchess of Devonshire, I'm ever-so happy I don't live in the 17th or 18th centuries. Women were completely dependent on their fathers or husbands. Even giving birth to a female was not greeted with enthusiasm. The Duchess' influence in political matters was unheard of and amazing.
  3. Even though I've been in Central Texas since December, I'm still shocked when I walk outside and instantly start sweating because of the humidity. Crazy.
  4. What exactly is the point of Supreme Court confirmation hearings? The candidates never say anything new, at least Roberts and Sotomayor didn't. Senators just get to grandstand, which is nothing new.
  5. Overall, underwhelmed by the new Harry Potter movie. It felt like a teenage love story with a little Fighting Evil thrown in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the book was kind of like that, though. There wasn't much plot going on - it was mainly a transitional book between two very different Harry-Potter-world situations. It seemed like it mainly served to set up the horcrux framework for the next book, develop the relationships between the two couples that will progress in the next book, and take away the dominant male Dumbldore figure to allow Harry to become the true adult male hero in the next book. I thought it stayed pretty true to what the book did - it just wasn't a powerful, standalone story arc like the rest.

Jamie said...

I felt the same way about the book, but the critics were in love with the movie, and that hasn't been the case with most HP films. I expected more because of that.