- So last Thursday I went with some friends to see Idina Menzel at the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. That woman knows how to command a stage. She sang "Poker Face" from GLEE, which is not a song you would ever associate with the symphony. She closed with "Defying Gravity" of course. But my favorite song was an a cappella version of "For Good," also from WICKED. She even dropped her mic, so it was just her natural voice filling the Meyerson. I almost cried. And just thinking about it gives me chills. We bought the cheap seats behind the orchestra, but it was worth it, even though Idina's back was to us most of the time. So that is what I was doing last Thursday night instead of blogging. I think you can forgive me. And this Thursday I was working and didn't get home until almost 10 p.m.
- By the way, loved doing something social on a Thursday instead of working. I did give up my WICKED ticket last night because of a work conflict, but I have already seen the show. And I've heard this touring cast underwhelms.
- I just finished reading the book "Devil in the White City" about the Chicago World's Fair and a charming local serial killer . What I learned: the Ferris Wheel is so named after the engineer who designed it for the World's Fair; Shredded Wheat cereal made it's debut at the Fair; the Pledge of Allegiance originated because one man thought it would be a good idea if all the school children recited something in unison to observe Columbus Day and acknowledge Dedication Day of the Fair.
- Loving me some "30 for 30" documentaries on ESPN. I've only seen three, but they've all been excellent.
- I finally bought a bookcase for my living room. The absence of boxes make the place feel more like home.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
I keep forgetting to blog!